First of all, I’ve joined Twitter, and you can find me @LastMum. After some confusion I think I’ve worked out how it all works, but forgive me if I need to ask silly questions :D
Secondly, I have finally got my hands on ‘No Matter What’ by Sally Donovan. I love Kindles! Now the difficulty is finding the time to read it! I’m very excited to read it though!
And thirdly, to my surprise, I find I have been nominated for a Liebster Blog Award. Thank you Josanne (http://josanneblog.wordpress.com), I accept!
How it works
The idea is to nominate blogs with less than 200 followers to boost their readers. To accept your award I:
- Link back to the blogger who nominated me
- Nominate at least 5 bloggers/blogs with less than 200 followers
- Answer the 11 questions my nominator asked me
- Divulge 11 random facts about myself
- Make up 11 questions for the bloggers I nominated if they want to accept the award
Josanne asked me
1. What does your family think about your blogging? I haven’t told many people I know! My daughters Rhea and Kestrel are very supportive, as are my siblings. My mum doesn’t really understand this whole blogging business though and can’t work out what I hope to achieve by writing about my life or who would want to read about it :D
2. Which 5 famous people would you invite to dinner? Agh, tricky! I’m going to pick a rather odd mix. First, I’d have Jada Pinkett Smith, because a) she’s one of my (now not-so) secret celebrity crushes and b) she does so much amazing work, such as being a big part of the conception and creation of the US organisation ‘Don’t Sell Bodies’, to combat trafficking and sexual slavery. Second, I’d have Jim and Sue Clifford (anyone remember ‘a Home for Maisie’?) because they are both amazing people and parents. Third, Kate Cairns, I love her books which have been useful to me and I think we could have a good long conversation about adoption and trauma etc. Fourth, JK Rowling, another woman I love, and fifth, Ashley Rhodes-Courter, whose memoir ‘Three Little Words’ is a triumph.
3. You have a day off without the kids, what would you do? Day off!? I’m sorry I don’t understand what this mysterious ‘day-off’ is, should I know about it?! Okay, in my fantasy perfect day off, I’d start my day with a lovely long hike somewhere beautiful, far from civilisation and teeming with wildlife. Stop off for a picnic lunch and read for a couple of hours. Then walk back slightly nearer civilisation and spend the afternoon doing something with history or sciencey – maybe seeing some ancient cave art or lying back in a planetarium to tour the galaxy <geek>. Evening/night eating out at a nice restaurant and relaxing in a spa pool surrounded by scented candles, and get a massage.
4. What was your favourite toy as a child? I guess my bike doesn’t count as a toy? If not, I loved building wooden train tracks and playing trains!
5. What is your favourite meal? It would be Pasta with a tomato sauce containing a ton of fresh courgette and pepper, and flavoured with plenty of garlic and herbs
6. What is the first thing you do in the morning? Have a shower…so refreshing and peaceful before the out-of-bed-kids routine starts!
7. What is the best thing about you? I guess maybe empathy? Or maybe perseverance!
8. Can you remember your first school crush? What can you remember of them? Very clear memories! Not a happy ending I’m afraid. It was the late 70’s and there was this girl in the Year above who was stunning and kind and funny and sexy…I fell hard. But I was 13, and seriously struggling with the idea that I liked girls not boys, so I was ashamed and unhappy and kept it all to myself. And she had a ‘secret’ (AKA the strict parents remain blind to what every child in the school knows about) boyfriend.
9. Facebook or Twitter? Share your link. I don’t have a blog facebook page, but just joined twitter, @LastMum
10. Would you ever consider cosmetic surgery? No, not for me. Not that I could afford it even if I would consider it!
11. If you ever had a movie made about you. What actor would play ‘you’? Another really tricky one! I’d have Angelina Jolie, because she’s an amazing actress and I guess another adoptive mother could bring something really genuine/authentic to that side of my story. Bonus, she’s far more beautiful than me so when thinking of me everyone would be picturing Angelina instead :D
11 Random Facts About Me
- I’m vegetarian
- I’m terrified of big heights
- I love mint and aniseed flavours in as much of my food as possible. I hunt out sweet shops which sell Aniseed twists, and grow my own Mint to stick on top of everything possible!
- I really love fantasy books, both adult and young adult/teen. I loved Game of Thrones and on the YA side, I’m waiting for the release of the second ‘Throne of Glass’ novel
- Although I’ve read the books, I’ve barely seen any of the TV version of Game of Thrones!
- I’m addicted to tea and never drink less than 4 cups a day, but 5/6+ cups is normal
- I had a perm for a short while in the ’80’s. No one will ever see those pictures again. Ever.
- When I was young, I dreamed of finding out I could do magic. As an adult, I fell in love with an actual witch! (She was Wiccan, before that was ecclectic and practised her craft alone)
- I would borrow my partners fabulous jewellry and acquired some Pagan symbol jewellry of my own, not to mention statues of various Gods and Goddesses. One day, I happen to be wearing my pentagram necklace and was cleaning the statues when the doorbell rang. I answered still holding a figure of Artemis, and lo! Jehovah’s Witnesses! Who wordlessly took a good look at me, and promptly ran back the way they came. That is absolutely true. I do feel bad about that, i mean they really thought I was a witch and therefore in-with-the-devil. But I’ll never stop lauging about it!!
- As a teen, my dreams changed to being a James-Bond esque secret services agent on foreign soil. Apart from the whole death bit, which never had any appeal whatsoever :D
- My dream was always to have 4+ kids. I wish I could adopt more children. Sadly my kids needs make it a no-go (but don’t think I’m not insanely greatful for what I have).
The Blogs I’m going to nominate for this Award (it’s more of a challenge than an award IMHO, trying to come up with an answer to all these questions!) :D I wish I could everyone by the way, because most of the blogs I read are just amazing.
If the bloggers I nominated want to take part, then my 11 questions to you are –
- What is the best thing about being a blogger?
- Your favourite book (or book series) of all time is?
- What came first, the chicken or the egg? ;)
- If you had a time machine and could visit any time period in the past, when would you visit?
- If you could achieve instant fluency in any language, which one would you pick and why?
- It would be ______ if humans made contact with an alien race as intelligent as us, because _____?
- When you were 5, your dream career/job was?
- And when you were 13/14 your dream career/job was?
- If I could give you instant citizenship of the country of your choice (you can keep all of your current nationalities) which one would you choose?
- Is there any cause or campaign you are passionate about and want others to join?
- And lastly, tell me about one of the best days of your whole life :)
That was tough, but quite fun! Thanks again Josanne :)